Wednesday 21 August 2013

COSTUME MAKING WORKSHOP AT THE RSC

After we had looked at the costume exhibition I had the chance to learn about making costumes at a workshop. The workshop took place in a room where there were lots of examples of different parts of costumes including wigs, shoes and jewellery. We watched a video of a dresser helping an actor get ready to go on stage.


The people running the workshop were from a theatre company called The Wrong Crowd. One of the ladies was a director and the other was a costume designer who often makes puppets.They told us that we could have a go at making costumes and props of either a fairy or Bottom's donkey ears from a Midsummer Night's Dream or a witch from Macbeth. They gave us lots of ideas for making hats, masks and creepy hands using gloves and a special foam material. I decided to make a mask of a witch from Macbeth. I decided I wanted the mask to look really freaky!
First of all I cut off the mouth and chin from a plastic mask. I also made the eyes bigger.

I squished up lots of pieces of masking tape to form a big nose. I wanted the nose to turn up at the end to look like a pig.


I then shaped some eyebrows. I made one higher than the other to make the expression look questioning.
 
 
I then covered the whole mask in a thin layer of PVA glue.
 
When the glue had dried, I painted it a skin colour. I used yellow ochre, white and a bit of red to make the skin colour.I also painted black around the eyes to make them stand out.

I then used lots of strips of fabric that were leftovers from real costumes made by the costume department to make a headdress. I wanted it to look a bit like a veil. I thought the purple colours were quite witchy.

Here I am looking very scary!



 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Libby this sounds like a fabulous workshop I would of liked to do that myself! I really like your mask we did a masked performance of The Tempest last year at CYAC and I think everyone enjoyed the mask making most. Doing simple things like changing the eye shape and size, and raising an eyebrow makes such a difference in therms of creating character. Did the workshop inspire you to create any more masks at home? what kind of character would you do next?
    Well done Libby on creating a very witchy mask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not inspired to do masks so much, but I learnt the masking tape trick, which I am using for a model I am working on!

    ReplyDelete